Allenton is an unincorporated community situated about five miles (8.0 km) south of exit 176, off Interstate 69 at 42°55′10″N 82°56′44″W. The Allenton ZIP code 48002 serves all of Berlin Township. The community was founded in about 1844 by Kerkimer Smith, an inn keeper who ran a stage coach line to Detroit. It was at first called "Smith's Corners" and was given a station named "Smith" on the Almont branch of the Pere Marquette Railway. A post office with that name was established in April 1883 and was renamed Allenton in March 1910 for Darius and Jesse Allen, who were civic leaders in the community.
Allenton Listings Summary